The season is upon us where it is acceptable to undo our belts and have an afternoon nap after Christmas lunch, however giving in to our pets puppy dog eyes when they are begging for some leftovers under the table may be causing more harm than good.
The Australian Veterinary Association warns all pet owners to refrain from feeding our animals the Christmas leftovers as some foods can be toxic to our furry friends including garlic and onions, chocolate and avocados. All of these foods can be responsible for damage to the heart and lungs, gastric irritation and anaemia.
Inflammation of the pancreas can be a result of feeding your pet rich meats, stuffing and crackle. Any rich foods that are high in fat cause the pancreas, an organ near the stomach which produces digestive enzymes, to go into overdrive. This causes a range of symptoms including loss of appetite, vomiting, diarrhoea, severe stomach pain and even collapse.
Christmas is surrounded with joy and cheer which can in fact, can inadvertently have a negative effect on our pets. Many human foods can cause serious illness to our pets so it is important to take caution when choosing which treats to give to your pets, here is a list of foods you should keep your four legged friend away from this holiday season:
- Cooked bones can splinter and damage the throat and intestines
- Avoid feeding your pets meat scraps that contain marinades and gravies, this can cause a tummy upset
- Chocolate can cause vomiting, diarrhoea, muscle twitching, increased urination and excessive panting.
- Onions and Garlic can cause gastric irritation
- Rich meats can cause inflammation of the pancreas
- Stuffing causes inflammation of the pancreas
- Avocados can cause heart damage
- Raisins, sultanas and grapes- they can cause kidney failure
- Any sweet treats containing ‘Christmas cheer’ is a big no no: as our pets are much more sensitive to alcohol than humans.
So what can you treat your pet with this Christmas? We recommend saving the left over pork crackle for Boxing Day and give your furry friend a healthy treat that is good for their teeth like a Greenie or a Dentabone instead.
Please contact us at Ovens & Kiewa Veterinary Hospital if you'd like any more information.
Serving the pet community of the Alpine Shire Council. The pawfect location for pet parents living in Myrtleford, Kiewa Valley, Ovens Valley and surrounding areas!