Toxic items to keep away from your pet | Alpine Shire Vet

The secret to a happy (and pet-friendly!) household

Our pets are part of the family, and so often we will have them inside to curl up next to the heater, particularly during these colder Winter months.

However, to avoid any health scares, as well as the Winter blues, there are a few common household items that you should be aware of as they are toxic to pets.

Foods to keep out of reach are chocolate, coffee beans, onions, garlic, spring onions, leek, chives, grapes and raisins.  They sound harmless but can cause anaemia, vomiting renal failure and death. On that note, it’s important to realise that while our pets love left-overs, they can be a little greedy and not always know what’s good for them! Compost and mouldy food can result in serious health conditions including causes muscle tremors, salivation, vomiting and seizures.

Panadol, Neurofen and aspirin can make us feel better when we are unwell but definitely do not have the same affect on our pets. Rather than relieving anything, they can cause liver failure, swollen face or paws, reduced oxygen carrying capacity of the blood leading to breathing difficulties and death. Other medications, such as skin medications for psoriasis and vitamin D supplements should also be kept in a safe place. They cause high blood calcium levels leading to acute renal failure and mineralisation of organs.

Lillies look good but cause acute renal failure and death in cats. This is definitely something to keep in mind if you have an indoor cat, definitely not worth the risk of them coming into contact with these flowers!

Snail and rat bait are obvious items, but it is important to make sure that these are out of reach for pets. Among many horrible conditions baits cause muscle tremors, ataxia (wobbliness), hyperthermia, seizures, vomiting/diarrhoea respiratory failure and death.

It is not always obvious if something will affect our animals negatively. Humans and pets are very different, and therefore it is important to be aware of what your pet has access to when they are inside. Unlike the great outdoors, their access to items within the house is something easily controlled. If you are unsure about any items in your house, or even around the outdoor area where your pet spends their days, please contact your local vet. We are here to help and want to make sure that our pet community remains happy and healthy! 

 

Please contact us at Ovens & Kiewa Veterinary Hospital if you'd like any more information.

Serving the pet community of the Alpine Shire Council. The pawfect location for pet parents living in Myrtleford, Kiewa Valley, Ovens Valley and surrounding areas!

Post a comment